Skip to content Skip to menu

Your Rent

All BCHA residents and tenants need to pay rent. Many of our residents will also have to pay a service charge which is used to pay for the upkeep of the communal areas such as stairways, lifts and gardens.

In this area of the site you can find out about:

  • All of the different ways you can pay your rent
  • What will happen if your rent goes in to arrears
  • The effect that being in rent arrears can have on you
  • Information about rent and service charges
  • Where you can get advice if you are struggling to pay your rent

When do I need to start paying rent?

As a customer it will be part of your tenancy agreement to pay rent, and any other charges for your home, including your service charge. 

Your tenancy with BCHA starts on a Monday. Within your licence or tenancy agreement it will state if your rent should be paid a week, fortnight or month in advance. Your rent payment will always be due on a Monday.

If you can’t afford to pay your rent in advance, you will need to set up an agreement with your Housing Officer when you sign up. By completing an Income and Expenditure Form with your Housing Officer, we can ensure that you are able to keep to the agreed repayments.

Will my rent increase?

We review our rent and service charges once a year, usually in April. If your rent or service charge is going to change, we will write to you and let you know at least a month before it is set to change.

If your rent increases you must then either increase your payments or, if you get a housing benefit, tell the local council about the increase by showing them the letter we send you. 

If you receive housing benefit, you will need to let your local council know when your rent changes, so as they can change their payments.

If you want to appeal against a rent increase you can contact the Residential Property Tribunal Service.