Being a good neighbour

Spare a thought for the person living next door

You have a right to live in your home without being disturbed by others. In the same way, your neighbours enjoy the same right. There are a number of ways that you can play your part in making your neighbourhood a good place to live:

  • Rubbish: Dispose of your household rubbish properly - using the bins as directed by the council. Ring up your local council to arrange for them to remove any large unwanted items (there may be a charge).                            
  • Pets: If you want to get a pet, then you will need to get permission from us in writing first. If you get permission, it is then your duty to ensure that your pet does not cause a nuisance or health hazard.                                               
  • Running a business from home: You will need to get written permission from BCHA and the council.        
  • Parking: You must avoid parking on footpaths, grassed areas, access routes or anywhere else which may be inconvenient to others.                                                                                                        
  • Abandoned vehicles: If you have a vehicle that needs disposing of, look online for local car-breakers.
  • Private gardens: If you have a garden that is for your use only, you must keep it in a tidy condition and free from rubbish. If you want to put up a shed, you must get permission from us in writing first.  
  • Noise and nuisance: Please try to be considerate to neighbours and keep the noise reasonable when you watch TV, play music, have visitors round or if you’re doing DIY (especially at night).
  • Communal areas: Where you share hallways, stairwells and common rooms with other residents, please make an effort to keep these tidy and free from obstructions. If you share a common entranceway with other residents, please do not let strangers in without checking who they are.

Tackling anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour is a common problem. It comes in many forms ranging from minor issues, such as inconsiderate parking, annoying problems such as loud music, to very serious issues such as violence and intimidation.

If you’re experiencing anti-social behaviour from your neighbours, raise the matter with them first. They may not know that they are disturbing you. Remember to be polite and remain calm. However, if the nuisance continues, or if you feel that you cannot speak to the person causing the problem, then contact your Housing Officer to report it. As long as your neighbour is a BCHA resident, then we will agree an action plan with you.

This might include:

  • Speaking with your neighbour about your complaint; if you’re happy for us to do this. If we feel they are causing the problem then we will issue them with a warning.
  • Offering to mediate, if you both agree to this.
  • Contacting other agencies for help – such as the police, council, environmental health or social services.
  • Taking court action where we are sure that there is a serious and ongoing problem. This might include getting an Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO), Injunction or, as a last resort, an Eviction Order.

While we are investigating a case or taking action, we will remain in regular contact with you until the complaint is closed. If we cannot resolve the problem, then we will make this clear to you and the reasons why. For example, if your neighbour is not another BCHA resident then we will support you to contact the police or another agency, or seek legal advice about your options.

We will investigate all complaints of violence, threats and harassment urgently and in confidence. Please remember – in an emergency dial 999.

Share this

Was this information helpful?