Universal credit

As part of the Welfare Reform, Universal Credit will replace all different types of work-related benefits. Benefit claims will gradually change over to Universal Credit between October 2013 and October 2017.

Universal Credit will replace:

  • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Income Support.
  • Child Tax Credit.
  • Working Tax Credit.
  • Housing Benefits.

It will mean that you will receive just one monthly payment directly into your bank account. This means it will be your responsibility to pay your rent from the Universal Credit payment you receive.

Universal Credit is being designed so as you make all benefit claims online. You will then be able to manage all of your claims online – but to do this, you will need an active email address.

If you don’t already have an email address, click here for a simple guide on how to set up a free email address today.

If you need any further support to set up an email address, or if you are worried about whether you will be able to access the internet, or know how to manage your benefit claims online, then speak to your Housing Officer, or alternatively, ask for support at your local Jobcentre.

Share this

Was this information helpful?