Skip to content Skip to menu

Floating Support

Mental Health Services

BCHA have been providing Floating Support services for over 20 years. Our experienced team currently visit over 600 people each year within the Bournemouth and Plymouth areas.

Our Floating Support Services are designed to help people take control of their own lives – helping them avoid homelessness, maintain their tenancies and equip them with the skills to live independently.

How can BCHA help me?

Once we know that you would like some help from our Floating Support Team, one of our Support Workers will get in touch with you to arrange a meeting – this will either take place in your home, or somewhere near to where you live.

In your first meeting, we will talk through with you what you need support with. This could be help claiming the right benefits or advocating on your behalf with your landlord over problems you may be experiencing with your tenancy. We will work with you to come up with a plan that details what you want to achieve, and how often we will be in touch. This might be weekly, fortnightly or monthly and could either be face-to-face or on the telephone.

Our Floating Support services can help you in a number of ways. We can provide support to help you to:

  • Stay in your home - maintaining your tenancy and avoid eviction
  • Manage your finances, for example, paying bills or claiming benefits
  • Improve your health and wellbeing - helping you to access services and support such as the doctors and dentist
  • Understand your options and make decisions
  • Develop your living skills to help you live independently
  • Make the most of local opportunities to learn new skills or get a qualification 

Our Floating Support Service in Plymouth also offer support to patients leaving hospital when they do not have suitable accommodation to return to. They ensure people receive continued support on discharge, both in terms of their health needs, and in finding suitable accommodation.

Who can receive support?

Bournemouth Floating Support Service

To access support from our Floating Support Service in Bournemouth you must:

  • Be aged 18 or over and have a tenancy or be a homeowner in the Bournemouth area
  • Be in need of housing related support
  • Not already be in receipt of housing related support
  • Be moving on from supported housing or an institution to independent living
  • Be willing to receive support and engage with the service

Plymouth Housing Information Signposting Support Service

To access support from our Housing Information Signposting Support Service in Plymouth, which we deliver in partnership with Path and Broadreach House, you must:

  • Be aged 16 or over and be a resident in Plymouth
  • Be at risk of homelessness, or be homeless
  • Be setting up a tenancy after living an unsettled way of life, such as sofa surfing
  • Have additional support needs
  • Be willing to receive support and engage with the service

How can I get in touch?

If you meet the above criteria and would like to have a chat about whether our Floating Support Services can help you, then give us a call today. You can refer yourself to these services.

Contact our Housing Information Signposting Support Service in Plymouth:

Call: 01752 293716



To access the latest Floating Support referral form, click here.

Was this information helpful?